Our History

At the heart of Hoe Bridge stands the 17th century mansion, Hoe Place. Hoe Place is steeped in history and was a favourite retreat for Lady Castlemaine, one of the mistresses of King Charles II.

Hoe Place remained a private residence, latterly in the ownership of the Booth family, until the 1920s. In 1928, Hoe Place Preparatory School was established on the site and, in turn, became St. Michael’s School in 1964, owned by the Tame family.

Allen House, founded in 1871, was located first at Box Grove near Guildford, then on part of the present Royal Grammar School site on Guildford High Street and finally at Hook Heath in Woking where a purpose-built Prep school was established in 1912. Allen House was a Preparatory school owned, from the outbreak of the Second World War until its closure in 1986, by the Archibald family.

Hoe Bridge School was formed in 1986 by the merger of Allen House and St. Michael’s School. From 1987 until 1992, Robin Barr, ex Head of Allen House, and Peter Tame, ex Headmaster of St. Michael’s School, were joint Headmasters of Hoe Bridge School, a charitable trust established by a Board of Trustees.